These days, cauliflower is making a trendy comeback. There are all sorts of products leveraging the benefits of this versatile vegetable. For us, it has been a reliable partner for many of the veggie purees in the beginning days of introducing solids. As we’ve gotten closer to the 1 year mark, I like using cauliflower for more sophisticated menu options. Below you will find a super easy recipe for cauliflower patties – perfect to cook whether you have a needy baby clinging to your legs or only 30 min after work. The patties are also suitable for self-feeding – I just break them up in pieces and let Simona feed herself. Added bonus: it works for grown ups too!
1 cauliflower head, cleaned of leaves and broken into large pieces
1 garlic clove, minced
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp olive oil
chopped parsley or chives – a handful will be enough
1-2 tbsp plain breadcrumbs
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
- Preheat oven to 450 F
- Boil or steam cauliflower until tender and soft (I personally like steaming vegetables and fruits, as it preserves the most nutrients in them. We use a saucepan with a steamer basket) – about 15 min
- Mash cauliflower with a fork – it’s OK if it is a bit chunky, just make sure there are no large pieces that would be hard to swallow
- Add beaten egg, minced garlic, olive oil, parsley/chives, breadcrumbs and spices. Mix well. If the consistency looks too watery/loose, add more breadcrumbs as needed to make it thicker.
- Place parchment paper over a cookie sheet and spoon cauliflower mixture onto it.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the patties are golden brown.
- Optional: serve with yogurt
Total prep+ cook time: 30 min