Soups and stews are an important part of our family’s diet, so it was only natural that I look for recipes and ideas I can incorporate into Simona’s diet. I want to make sure she gets wholesome meals with variety of ingredients. The added numerous benefits of this legume make it an easy choice for our family. Check this easy recipe for lentil soup:
1 cup red lentils, washed
½ zucchini, peeled and chopped
1 tomato, chopped to small pieces
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp olive oil
2 cups of water
1 carrot, peeled and cubed
- In a medium saucepan, heat up olive oil over medium heat and add chopped zucchini.
- Stir until zucchini has softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add flour over zucchini and stir; add chopped tomato, carrots and water and stir well. Add lentils.
- Bring to a boil, add spices and lower heat to simmer.
- Simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until lentils have softened.
- Cool off and serve. The consistency of the soup should not be very runny – keep in mind the lentils will thicken the consistency as they cook.
Total prep + cook time: 30 minutes