Congratulations! You survived your child’s first year! It has been a crazy whirlwind of ups and downs, tears and smiles, doubt and confidence. You now feel as if no one else knows your child better than you do – until he or she enters a new phase that leaves you totally clueless. Do not despair – I’ve been told things will settle down, after a few years lol. The 1st birthday is quite special – not just for your baby for the whole family. I know I felt as if this day will never come, especially in the early months. But now, looking back, I can’t believe how quickly it went. So, in honor of Simona’s first birthday, which we celebrated this past February, and for all of your future and past 1-year olds, here is a super fun and healthy version of a smash cake. I am yet to hone my skills in cake decorating, but at least I’m on the right track in terms of flavor. Enjoy!
Ingredients for the cake batter:
1 cup rice or coconut flour
¼ cup coconut oil, at room temperature
2 bananas, mashed
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tbs sesame tahini
Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, coconut flakes, etc. for decorating
Ingredients for the filling:
1 mashed banana
4 tbs ricotta cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F/160 C
- In a bowl, combine the flour and cinnamon together. Add the coconut oil and tahini to the mix and stir until combined.
- Beat the egg and mix well with the mashed bananas. Add to the flour mix and incorporate well.
- Pour mix in a round spring form pan, lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Cool completely before frosting.
To prepare the filling:
- Combine banana, vanilla and ricotta together, mix well.
Once the cake has cooled off, cut horizontally in half. Spread ½ of filling on top of on half, place the other half of the cake on top. Cover the rest with the remaining filling. Place in fridge for at least an hour before serving.
P.S. Simona didn’t really smash the cake – she decided she wanted to act like a lady and pick her blueberries one by one. Wonder who she took after?!